Monday, November 1, 2010

Diabetes Awareness Month

When I was given the assignment to write about diabetes for Latina's November issue, I was eager to dive into it and find out more about the disease and any developments in the field. You see, this is one that hits close to home. My grandmother passed away 15 years ago due to complications from diabetes and just a couple years after that, one of my close cousins was also diagnosed with the disease. Since then it's been one health complication after the other, but still she remains the life of the party, smiling and yelling through every obstacle that's come her way.

Sometimes when I hear that she's checked into the hospital yet again or that she's going in for her umpteenth eye surgery, I think about how unfair it all is and how arbitrary life can be. For no reason at all, she pulled the short stick and because of it has to fight harder than most of us just to do simple things we take for granted. A part of me dreads waiting on blood test results just because I fear getting the same news, but all I can do is learn as much as I can about it, its risk factors, go in for regular screenings and spread the word to others so they too have a fighting chance. Hopefully a cure to this and many others will be found soon, but in the meantime, educate yourself so you don't have to walk along that path someday.

Image: dailynewscorner.com

5 comments :

  1. My Grandad and Mam are diabetic, so it's something that's a big factor in my life a lot of the time too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nasty disease. It's in both sides of my family so I suppose it's just a matter of time. My Great-Aunt had it the worst. Lost her legs to it and eventually her life. Gramma had to work split shifts while caring for her so she could make sure her sister ate and got her meds. Gramma had the food regulated version as did my other gramma. Dad's got a form of the disease too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my grandma had to have a leg amputated and soon after passed away from complications. It's such a scary ordeal, but if you learn and make the necessary life changes, I believe it can be managed. You just have to be on top of it because no one's going to your home to monitor what you do and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomorrow, I'm going to a little screening of the documentary Unnatural Causes. My class has organized it along with some teachers at a high school in San Diego. One of the pieces will be on diabetes. It's a big problem, especially in poorer communities, and it's a problem that's quite near to me, as my grandfather died from the disease. It's so important to be educated and informed. I'm so glad you wrote this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother's mom lost a few toes because of this disease - and it runs rampant on both sides of my family (It's at least 75% of the relatives) and of course I have it.

    Your article was nicely written - and so very encouraging. Thanks for writing it!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.