Thursday, November 11, 2010

Momentary Escape

I just had to post another waterfall picture after today's tour that included a trip to La Paz Waterfalls Gardens. There, we walked a trail that led through its aviary, serpentarium and a felines exhibition (I squealed when a jaguar rolled over and and then kept pawing at me through the glass). There was also a frog and butterfly garden where I witnessed a couple newly-fledged butterflies attempting to emerge from their cocoons. And only a few feet after that we found ourselves surrounded by hummingbirds zipping here, there and all around us only stopping for a brief second to feed and allow us a mesmerized glimpse (and endless attempts to take their photo). It felt like a fairy tale. Or at least that Shrek scene where Fiona sings with the unfortunate little blue bird.

But then the trail led us into the rain forest (and through the rain) and ended with breathtaking views of the La Paz waterfalls. It was there when, wet and surrounded by lush greenery and the roaring cascades just out of my reach, I completely forgot that I had this other life in NYC. I forgot that I had a job and about the concrete jungle that I lived in. I forgot about to-do lists and stress. It was a simultaneous connect/disconnect. I was just that taken by how much nature was around and how loudly it was calling out to me. So this city girl just stood there in semi-disbelief that places like these really do exist outside of dreams.

12 comments :

  1. That's exactly how I felt cave tubing in Belize! It was unreal it was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughhhh, so jealousss. And I bet not even this vivid description could do that scenery and that moment justice... le sigh. Enjoy for all us city folk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dama, you're right, it doesn't, but I thought I'd try anyway. That and the hummingbirds were my favorite thing that day. I could watch those little things zip around forever. Being surrounded by butterflies was pretty magical too. Sigh..why can't I have that all year round?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how obsessed I am with hummingbirds right? Ever since way back when I found them in my animal encyclopedia and found out their wings flap at some incredibly fast rate and you need a super fast camera to catch it... sigh they're magical...

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's just something magical about a beautiful waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So.. is it 50-50 odds you are coming back?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I came back after all and it was right back to the grind today. Sigh...how quickly reality smacks you in the face :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. ay...que rico. You just made me want to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful Beautiful place... I think nature has thrown all his beauty here....

    ReplyDelete

Say word.