Friday, November 5, 2010

Shop News and a New Blog


Just wanted to let you guys in on what's been going on behind the scenes. Greeting card design class has been going great, so great in fact, that it's created a teeny issue: I keep wanting to hold off on launching my stationery line until I'm as prepared as possible and everything is perrrfect, which only means it might never happen at all! I'm really excited to just jump in already, but then stall when I learn something new each week. There are copyrights and branding to think about. Trade shows and street fairs, honing my style, studying and then developing a cohesive collection for my target audience. Plus, there are fun little details like paper selection, envelopes and plastic sleeves.

But while I keep working on my company, I wanted to finally share its name and blog site with you: Porcupine Hugs! It'll feature cards, stationery and other packaging good with my whimsical hand-drawn illustrations and doodles. I'm having a blast thinking of new designs and verses for my collections, relearning some computer skills (as frustrating as it is sometimes) and really wish I had more time to dedicate to this. But thanks to the new job, I'll be able to fund this a lot more easily than before and will continue to devote my evenings to this little dream of mine. I just want to churn out the best work that I can create.

I've already received some great feedback on my line so far and can't wait to hear what you all think. It's all a work in progress, but I'll post sneak peaks, updates and other designerly/artsy news on that site (and sometimes cross post here) as I figure out my way through this new field. So check out shopporcupinehugs.com and stay tuned for the shop's big debut!

10 comments :

  1. Wow, congrats on getting the site up! I absolutely love the name -- so cute and unique. :) I can't wait to see how you progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Can't wait to see the cute cards : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Keep it up, and maybe in the not too distant future you could have enough sucess with it to go back to freelancing without worrying about funds.

    Good luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG it's so adorable!! I love the logo and the motto. So adorable. I want some Porcupine Hugs stationary. You're so talented with those sketches. I'm seriously uber impressed.

    Drive on,
    - M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love the name!! I cannot wait to see the final products. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Porcupine Hugs has to be one of the cutest names ever! Congrats on accomplishing so much with your stationary -- I'm popping over to the blog now to see what there is to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to check in here more often. I was only gone for a few days and here you are with a brand new venture. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a catchy name!!

    And to think.. I got an email today with baby porcupine pictures in it...

    Hang on.. I'll forward 'em to ya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the knd words, everyone! I'm getting some drawing and creative thinking done on this trip (along with some writing), so hopefully this little dream keeps moving along. But the encouraging feedback is really motivating me so gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made some nice points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found mainly people will consent with your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.