Tuesday, December 22, 2009

When Dorkys Met Joy

So I finally met one of you for the first time: the lovely lady behind Joy De Vivre Design! She came to the city with her husband and mom and asked that I join them on Saturday. Of course, that was the day of the snowstorm (Thanks, Joy. Much appreciated), but it was so much fun despite the fact that my feet were frozen.* I always enjoy hearing out-of-towners gush about NYC; it reopens my eyes to how great this place is. Oh, and they were great tourists ;)

In the three hours that we spent walking around midtown we:

*Met up in Anthropologie. I'd never step foot in one before this.
*Caught a glimpse of the ginormous Rockefeller Center tree.
*Ate yummy cupcakes at Crumbs.
*Walked around the Mid-Manhattan Library (yes, the one from the Sex and the City movie.)
*Watched the ice skaters at Bryant Park.
*Tasted free popcorn!
*Checked out the bathrooms at Macy's. What? That was a lot of walking around!
*Ooh and aah'ed over Macy's elaborate windows.
*Stopped inside the Empire State Building lobby.
*Walked back to Grand Central Terminal were we mentioned how awesome we each were and then parted ways.

In person, Joy is definitely how she comes across on her blog: fun, sweet and super cute. In other words, a joy to hang out with. And I was relieved when she said the same about me. I mean how much would it suck if your cyber self were waaay more fun than the real you?

*Ok, leave it to the tourists to teach me how to cope with the NYC winter: mini heating pads tucked inside my gloves!











13 comments :

  1. So fun! I really want to meet some bloggy friends. It's one of my goals in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Sounds like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever make it to New York, I'm looking for you so we can do tourist things! This post reminded me of the episode of Friends where Chandler takes Erika around the city and has more fun sight seeing than she does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm glad you were able to meet up with Joy, and that you both seem to have enjoyed yourselves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mini heating pads inside gloves...I bet that helped a lot! Glad that you all had fun exploring NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at those marvelous pictures!

    The train station and the Empire State building shots are awsome!

    But the best picture is the one of the two of you smiling like there is no tomorrow at Bryant Park!

    :) I'm glad you had a great time - both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! You two look like you had a ton of fun! I've yet to meet a fellow blogger but I can't wait to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meeting internet friends is such fun! You are both gorgeous and love the smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, I look like a little old grandma in these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww thanks Dorkys! :) We had such a great time meeting you! Thanks for being an awesome tour guide!

    I am glad that I got you to step foot in Anthropologie! ;) Just tread lightly in there, because it does dangerous things to your wallet! LOL!

    The Rockefeller Center tree was so pretty and I loved the library. The architecture is amazing! Now when I watch SATC I will think of us being there on those steps! :)

    NYC is so much fun! I miss it already! Thanks for thinking that we were not like those crazy tourists! LOL! I agree with your post about tourist don'ts-New Yorkers are very nice people.

    Don't forget to go to Walgreens for those heating pads! I don't know how you have made it so long without them. I only made it one day! ;)

    Thanks again for a great afternoon! Mom, Gabe and I all thought you were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this all looks and sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.