Friday, December 11, 2009

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

I'll start out by saying I did not plan to watch this movie (this week or ever). No, Tuesday was supposed to be all about Fantastic Mr. Fox and fun so when I got to the theater and found out it was sold out, I was let down. I wasn't prepped for what I did see.

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (good grief!) tells the story of Claireece "Precious" Jones, a 16-year-old Harlem girl growing up under the darkest of circumstances: her absent father raped her repeatedly causing a second pregnancy; her mother belittles and physically abuses her and blames Precious for her failed relationship; and somehow she managed to reach the ninth grade...without knowing how to read or write. And even though the situation seems absolutely hopeless, Precious holds onto her dreams of fame, fortune and love that help her push through every time her reality grows ever more bleak.

I'm not going to lie. This movie was tough. And for some reason, (though I think it's because we only caught glimpses of the sexual abuse) I hated Mo'Nique's character much more than the father's. How do you stand by and watch your little girl suffer? Better yet, how do you play a role in it and keep on living? There were moments when the hatred she shows Precious becomes too much to bear - I had to cover my face a couple times.

Still, I left the theater wishing I had felt the film more, that I had become a bit more entwined in the characters' lives. It also scared me a bit that I left thinking, "It was good, but...eh." Yes it portrayed a horrible situation, a story found in those neglected places we turn our heads away from and pretend don't exist. Maybe those sick stories in the news have desensitized me to this. Or maybe I just wish everyone still living in the dark also had a chance to push through, too.

Precious: 3/5 Toasties



Image: sidereel.com

6 comments :

  1. I probably wont be seeing this one.

    I do want to see Fantastic Mr Fox though. But I'm having trouble getting to go and see it, because the person who generally goes to the pictures with me doesn't want to see it. I was going to have hubby go with me, but he doesn't seem all that eager to see it either, and I don't want to make him go see something just for my benifit. I'll just have to hope it gets shown on one of the movie channels at some point in the not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't bring myself to go to the theater to watch this. I want to see it eventually, but I am a crier. And I desperately want someone to tell me how scarring the imagery is, because I'm one of those that remains with the images in my head forever.

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this movie was absolutely incredible. Fantastically acted and moving. I drowned in mah own tearz worse than all those hoz on the Titanic. I wrote a mini review HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a little "too real" and "too raw" for me.

    You might not be "feeling it" as it seems like a little too much of the ugly daily life - and to protect oneself, I think we tune things out as much as we are able.

    Someday I hope you see a 5 toaster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.s., Tooj said to come over here and razz ya...

    So I'm just followin' orders... on account you don't wanna piss off a pregnant woman... ever... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a very hard time seeing anything that relates to poor parenting when I'm NOT knocked up...so when I AM...? I can't do it. I want to see this, I think...but it'll have to wait until the alien is popped out. I get ANGRY (see Iggy's comments) at parents that even resemble mediocre when I'm prego. It's a bad habit I have.

    I was hoping more people would be over to razz you. Damn.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.