Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dear NYS Department of Labor

Why did you feel the need to schedule me for a mandatory workshop at 8:30 in the freakin' AM? I never had to be out and about this early when I actually had a job! I'm unemployed. Did you not think I'd had the ENTIRE rest of the day for this?!

Question for you, geniuses: What do you lose - along with a steady paycheck - when you're let go from work? Health insurance. And now, thanks to you, here are the lovely things I have to look forward to due to lack of sleep:*

1. Higher risk of catching a cold. In fact, I started sniffling on my way home and I don't think it was just because of the Arctic winds we've got going here.

2. Alzheimer's? Sure why not. My memory has already been going down the crapper for the past 10 years.

3. Why hello diabetes, heart problems, depression and obesity! And that stuff you guys were yapping on about? Totally did not process it.

4. I could die. Oh, awesome. Merry Christmas to you, too.

Seriously, it's like adding insult to an injury I can't afford. Work on it.

*These are obviously possible effects from prolonged sleep deprivation. In no way does this mean that I will not blame the NYS DOL for their insensitivity.

13 comments :

  1. Don't you love people that think, "Hey, I'm awake at 4 AM, why wouldn't you be?" and call you on the phone before the sun even rises?

    :)

    Not that you need the beauty sleep - but I hope you rest up - I won't want you catching a cold or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8:30 is too early! I'm with you. I facilitate workshops beginning at 9 and sometimes (okay, all the time) I think that's too early. I need for my coffee to kick in, people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why I leave that thing on silent during the night. Then I worry about being unreachable in case of a family emergency and put it on vibrate. 'Til someone wakes me up for no good reason and pisses me off. Then it goes back. It's a vicious cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the appointment letter said 8:30 AM and for once in my life I was on time. Why did that thing start at 9 AM? I'm going back to being a half hour late to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh! the good ol Dept of Labor! I had to go to the workshop too, but mine was scheduled at 11:00am. And even then that was early! HAHA...i am super lazy in the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So when I was sitting in my chair half-asleep, I overheard the facilitators talking to each other:

    #1: So these are all the people?
    #2: Yeah.
    #1: That means the 11 o'clock session is going to be packed.

    Me (in my head): WHAT?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing starts that early! Even things you want to. So crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you! Everything should start around 10. That way you have time to eat a healthy breakfast, get ready and be on time. I have to be at work at 6:30 every morning and it really sucks! You never get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suck it up, woman. The rest of the world has to be at work at 8am, as a rule of thumb....heck! I had the day off and had to be up at 6:00!

    (when were you planning on arriving again? I need to tidy up before you come to take over for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate when things like that happen! People just don't stop to think about the fact that not everyone actually gets up early enough to make it to appointments that early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww...at least you got it taken care of! And yes, take extra care of yourself to avoid getting sick. Bundle up today. Brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Told ya to be there at 830...didn't start til 9 and there was an 11am spot??? Oooh I woulda been pissed...

    ReplyDelete
  13. at least you went. I've been waking up around 8:30 AM lately, so I might have done something completely stupid -like sleep through my alarm- if it had been me. Being un(der)employed sucks!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.