Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What Do You Do When You're Not Interested?

What is it with guys who can't catch a hint when you're not interested? Last Friday, my friend and I were dancing at a bar when I had to nicely reject a guy several times throughout the night. He just couldn't understand why I didn't feel like hanging out with him. It later had me thinking of all the ways we try to gracefully turn down a man's advances when we go out. I once ran into a guy who asked why I still hadn't called or responded to his messages so I lied and said I'd lost my phone...and then I actually lost it a few days after that. Lesson learned.

Other moves we've pulled include:

- sudden mobile dancing that puts mad distance between you and him
- pretending to be a non-English speaking foreigner ("¿Que? No comprendo.")
- becoming a lesbian for the night
- giving out the digits for the rejection hotline (unfortunately guys now call you on the spot)
- using a decoy engagement ring
- convincing a friend to play the boyfriend role
- running into the bathroom to change your appearance
- temporary deafness due to loud music
- using group of friends as an impenetrable force field

Poor guys. If only a simple "no" would suffice instead of turning the situation into a challenge. What other crazy tricks have you tried when you're just not interested?

Image: simplytyingtheknot.tumblr.com

2 comments :

  1. As a guy (who's been told "not interested" a good number of times) I can say two things:

    You should consider yourself flattered! He obviously thought you were "hot stuff". (And he's right, you are!)

    Sometimes the "chemistry" fires up and it overwhelms the brain (double/triple the effect if there is alcohol involved). Mother Nature made us guys persistent (not to excuse bad manners). I think an honest, "I'm really flattered but I'm not interested. Thanks for asking." ought to work. If it doesn't then its time for being less subtle (like a slap in the face or a kick in the...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was hilarious! I remember using multiple tactics that you mentioned. It's one reason that I didn't look forward to going out, ugh! Guys and their egos are just not a pretty thing. And please don't let them be with a group of friends and you tell them no thanks. Next thing you know, they might call you a name! It's ridiculous how guys are these days :-\

    Myers Maison // Designing, Grilling and Life in Between

    ReplyDelete

Say word.