Wednesday, January 11, 2012

30

I don't know why people dread entering their 30's; I've been looking forward to it since I turned 29. Thirty sounds secure, all grown-up and out of the tumultuous 20's where every year comes with heaps of firsts, self-discovery, tumbles, healing, and lessons. Honestly, I feel and look no different than I did the day before, but I'm excited for what I hope this next decade will bring: confidence, growth, marriage, a family, things I've found myself wanting more and more the older I get. Friends gasp when I no longer go on the defensive when they mention the last two items on the list, but I can't lie. It'd be nice to settle down and create a home with someone someday.

Maybe 30 has been easy to slip into because I still don't fully feel grown or like I know as much as I thought I would by now. There's still quite a bit left for me to figure out (and I imagine that will never cease to be the case), but I'm now at a stage where I can't wait to find the answers - no matter what they might turn out to be. Just saying you're 30 brings with it an air of maturity and direction. Hopefully some of that will actually seep in though I can't imagine I'll ever let go of the giggly girl within.

Image: etsy.com

8 comments :

  1. Happy Birthday Dorkys!!!

    ...and may you NEVER lose that "giggly girl within."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday girl! May you have a super fun day.

    PS. We have been blog buddies for a while. I remember when you turned 26!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your view on turning 30! :)

    Hope you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psh, this girl:

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100609906614060&l=d6b580d649

    is going no where! (Taken 1/11/12).

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday!!!

    I've read your site for a while, so I'm going to say that anything you think that you need to learn you already are, beautiful, smart, kind, and creative. Keep being awesome! 30 is a happy number !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Dorkys! May your next 30 years bring you as much love, life and excitement as the first 30.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone! And Dama, thanks for putting me on the spot like that :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a little late to the party, but Happy Birthday!

    My mom thought I was crazy when I told her I was excited to turn 30. Now that I'm about to turn 35, I feel slightly different.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.