Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Wedding in California

When A. invited me to his cousin's wedding back in February, July 31st seemed like a lifetime away. I was thrilled ("Really?! You're inviting me to California for a family gathering?! Eeee!!"); a bit nervous ("Dear Lord that's a long ways away...don't mess this up...don't mess this up..."); but mostly I was - and still am - extremely flattered that he still saw us together six months from then. It's always a nice sign when the guy makes long-term plans for you two, right? And taking a plane anywhere together is serious!

Now here we are two months away, tickets bought and hotel room options discussed. I cannot wait to finally meet his family (he's from L.A.) and he's looking forward to renting a car and driving us from San Jose to Monterey. That and fulfill his wish to wrap me up in something pretty to present me in. We've yet to find the dress though and my friends would murder me if I used last year's ensemble a third time.

I can already feel the jitters as I watch the plane take off from my window seat; the nerves settle in as I meet his mom and dad...and his sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles; the giddiness of traveling with him for the first time, driving along the coast with the windows down and stepping on his feet as he teaches me how to slow dance at the wedding. I never have been very good at being led.

15 comments :

  1. You are going to love the ride down Route 1.

    Get a convertible :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh he's already dreamed about driving with the top down. We'll see how much it costs to rent one though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll love SoCal. One of my favorite places. And I'm sure you'll find the perfect dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meeting the family for the first time can be so nervewracking! I'm sure it will be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for reusing wedding outfits...especially since you usually see such different people at each one, it's not like they'd know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year's ensemble is oh so pretty! I'd probably go for it and tell no one.

    This is a big step fer sure and you are going to have a blast. We went to Monterey many years ago and going back there is on my list. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to have so much fun! I love California that time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im with Ronnica, grab a bedazzler and freshen that puppy up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will have a fantastic time, I am so excited for you! Can't wait to see your pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just be sure to take us along with you on your dress shopping again. That was too fun to live through you last time! :)

    Your adventures are becoming more and more interesting since you were "laid off" and found a dude to hang with. Keep the stories coming...I'll be holed up at home for the entire summer being mommy all over again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, it's always good when the guy makes long term plans like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I hope you have so much fun! And, yes!! Get a new dress!!

    You sound happy...I'm happy you're happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh, you're gonna be in my neck of woods! my cousin lives in san jose and visit him quiet often. i don't know what you're schedule looks like but if you have time, we should definitely meet up for coffee and/or dessert :)

    also, tell A to include the 17-mile drive to carmel-by-the-sea as part of the itinerary. its so beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. katherine, yup I did and I'm very happy with it!

    katherine, oh I will and I did :)

    mommy, right now I'm fine, more excited than nervous, but I'm sure the nerves will kick in the closer we get to the date.

    ronnica, so am I, but I won't lie and say that I'm not happy about having something new to add to my wardrobe.

    deanna, that good huh? Wow, I'll have to make sure my camera is completely empty and fully charged.

    joy, I'm looking forward to seeing another part of that state. Last and only time I went years ago, I just hung around San Diego, which was awesome.

    ladystyx, a bedazzler?! Oh my no. I'd be the talk of the night that's for sure, but not for good reasons.

    sugarlens, I'm excited for me too, lol!

    tooj, oh don't make it sound as if your adventure won't be as exciting. If anyone can make pregnancy and mommyhood sound ridiculously hilarious, it's you dear friend. Also, I miss you punk! We need a chat session soon to catch up since you won't write to me anymore :p

    toriz, glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. Yay for green flags.

    heidi, I'm very much so :)

    odessa, Sweet! I'll let you know if we can manage and I'll tell A. about that route. I'm going to be a completely tourist there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wear things over and over, maybe with new jewelry or a different belt. You'll look great.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Say word.