Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Frisky 30-Day Breakup Guide

I'll start out by saying that I don't know if this would've had any effect on me when I needed it. When Mr. First and I broke up two years ago, I was inconsolable; I didn't want to eat let alone have a girls' night out and go shopping! And those are just two of the 30 prescriptions listed in The Frisky 30-Day Breakup Guide (out June 1), a quick read intended to help you through that first month of misery.

The book is full of lists, quotes and advice (both expert and celeb) that all lead to the same conclusion: it's not just about forgetting He Who Sucks at Life, it's about shifting your focus back on yourself. Although the book is a bit too fluffy for my tastes, I can appreciate their mission and tried to keep my eye-rolling to a minimum. I also liked that the author went the short-and-sweet route with each section (so you can easily read a good chunk of it in between your cryfests) instead of mascarading as some profound piece of literature. Just know that this book does not contain any earth-shattering revelations about the healing process. We all cope in different ways and not everyone will benefit from this 30-step program.

So if I were you, I'd just download the free PDF version of the calendar (read the daily instructions online) and hang it up on my wall. If anything, it'll serve to remind you that life really does go on and there are better things you could be doing with it.

How do you handle breakups?

Image: jamiebeckman.com

7 comments :

  1. I sort of did my own version of this last summer when I was dealing with my worst breakup ever. It's definitely important to have a plan and to focus on yourself. Because wallowing and dwelling on your misery isn't going to get you anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I might have done the EXACT OPPOSITE! I completely forgot about myself and my health and the worse I felt, the worse I looked and it'd just circle on and on. I blame it on being my first time through it, but I eh, what's done is done and I'll be wiser the next time around.

    God I hope there isn't a next time around.

    Good for you for putting yourself first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to drink and cry :( Now I'm married and I still find myself drinking and crying sometimes lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I'm sorry but I found this funny :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listen to music. When I ended my marriage in 2001 it was Dido - after wards, Sarah Maclaughin, The Coors and Annie Lennox filled my house on a constant basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. obsessing. It doesn't help but that is what I did. Coming by from SITS. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now to find someone to get with so I can break up with them...

    ReplyDelete

Say word.