Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Makeover 2: Health

I like how as soon as I think about writing a health update, I get sick. Lame. I hope this isn't going to be an annual thing.

I blame A. You see that 34-foot rock climbing wall to your left? He invited me to his gym again on Sunday and when I woke up Monday morning my body was in Pain. (I also spent the entire weekend running from one event to another in 19-degree weather, but that's neither here nor there. He's clearly the culprit.) So I've spent the last two days exhausted, sniffling and shuffling about.

Climbing that wall is fun, but incredibly challenging. I was holding on to dear life and giving myself pep talks to try and make it to the top (I did twice out of three times.) Too bad A. could see my legs shaking all the way there. On my second try I was so tired (and scared) there was just no way I could go any farther. I did better on my final climb after putting his advice to use: Keep your arms straight and push up with your legs instead of pulling yourself up. It's such a thrill to reach the top ledge, look down and realize how far you've climbed. I'm beat and still shaking once I hit the floor, but in my mind I'm beaming and thinking, "Oh my God, I actually did it!" They should have little trophies waiting up there.

But in this I've also learned 1) how out of shape I am and 2) how much I beat up my body on a daily basis. One little workout and my body begs for mercy. I speed walk everywhere and yet I'm constantly out of breath because I don't know how to pace myself. In my haste, I walk around as if I were stomping on the devil so my feet, ankles and my head ache. I know my poor time management skills play a role in this and I don't dedicate enough time to taking care of myself.

As always, the eating situation needs improvement. Why is a goal as simple as "eat every four hours" so hard for me to maintain? Before I know it the time has passed and I'm thinking, "Good God, it's time to eat again!? I can still taste the food I ate hours ago!" But because I'm a social eater, the dating thing has helped big time. I just need to eat that well when I'm alone and minus the costs.

Last week, I attended the kick-off event for Function: Well. 30 Tips for 30 Days which offers health habits to incorporate into your life. Granted, I think it'll take a lot more than 30 days for just one of these habits to take hold, but it's worth a try. But the great thing about the event was scoring a free 30-day membership to Equinox. I've never joined a gym for more than three days (it was also free) so I've been checking out their classes and motivating myself to sign up.

Now, should I take out my frustrations in kickboxing class or finally learn how to swim...

17 comments :

  1. if your following the eat every 4 hrs regimen, the u need not eat a full heavy meal each time...a meal could constitute of one small-med sized fruit or a handful of nuts or a glass of milk shake too. i'm eating every 2 and half to 3 hours and its a wonderful way to stay slim and yet feel well fed all the time. do try it if you can...it takes a while for the results to show (3-4 mnths atleast) but u'll soon notice that ur never starving and yet u dont put on weight.

    just thought of sharing this with you SITSa. have a nice day =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visit and the tips, but...um...that's EXACTLY what I'm trying to do: put on some weight.

    *Sigh* I'm so in the minority here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to do the weight gain thing too, and it's a pain. Mostly I managed by upping my protein and starch intake and not shying away from things like adding a stick of butter to my mashed potatoes and switching to a higher-fat milk.

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally! Someone else who's been through this. How long did it take you? Actually I guess I should start implementing and eating before I start questioning how long before I see results. I'm so impatient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooohhhhh do both lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eating every 4 hours would be harder than it sounds. I try to get the indians to eat protein shakes every now and again - but they turn up their noses if I am not sneaky about it.

    And the Rock Wall looks AWESOME, but of course, that is my perspective sitting here in my office chair across my big ol' desk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oddly, I never think of my health as put on or take off weight. I think of it as take off fat, put on lean muscle. I've discovered that when I'm at my skinniest (a size 4-6 in that case), I also weigh around 150 pounds -- more than I do now as a size 8. In my opinion, one of the best things you can do is go for a body composition test and then follow up with another every 8 weeks to see how you're progressing. That way when you put on weight, it'll be the good kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swimming if the pool is heated. Stopping from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to try rock climbing, but I've got a little ways to go before I'm ready for that!

    Kickboxing destroyed my knees. Two years later, I still have problems.

    And I have the same issue with remembering to eat regularly. If you find the secret, please share it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, it is all about the legs. I used to be a certified belayer... but it has been so long I don't know if could make it up the wall now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you are feeling better already.

    I'd go with the learning to swim - mmm... nice warm pool...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally get the shaking thing. I've climbed a couple of times. It really is important to use your legs and core more. Are you gonna go back?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    And, whatever you decide to do... Make sure it's something you enjoy, because then there's more chance you'll want to keep going with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kudos to you for climbing that wall twice!

    Hope you are feeling a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks guys! I'm feeling much better. Too bad I was completely unproductive this week

    I'm really considering the swim class, but want to wait til the last possible moment to register (must do so before the end of the month). I hope by then most of this wintry weather will be over. One can dream right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would LOVE to take up kickboxing. My friend does it and it got her in crazy good shape!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.