Tuesday, January 28, 2014

New York City Vocabulary Lesson


Now I don't really venture onto BuzzFeed unless I'm learning about my introverted self, eating up a comedian's live tweets of a rooftop breakup, discovering what city I should actually live in (London??), or trying to figure out which Game of Thrones character I'd be (Arya!). I blame my Facebook friends for sharing all of those distracting links when I should be working instead of procrastinating with useless personality quizzes. But! I actually enjoyed this illustrated NYC dictionary posted this week. As the daughter of a bodeguero, I especially liked the entry above. And since it's been way below freezing in the city and I remember being shocked when A. didn't know what the hell I was talking about when I once said it was brick outside, I wanted to share the below with you, too.

Brick [brik] adjective
1: really fucking cold
2: November through March


To read up on some other NYC terms and finally learn how to pronounce Houston Street so you don't sound like a damn tourist, click here, and check out illustrator Michael Perez's work here.

Images: buzzfeed.com

3 comments :

  1. Oh em geez sistah fren- I's got London TOO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get too excited, I wanted to get Paris instead.

      Delete
  2. This is entertaining.

    :P says the dude from filly-dul-fee-ya.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.