Friday, December 30, 2011

My Holiday Surprise for A.

I'm a fan of Grand Gestures. Blame Disney and telenovelas, but I love dramatic displays of romance and being swept off my feet and just because women are usually the ones who get wooed, there's no reason why I can't treat A. to a Grand Gesture, too. Something that will completely knock him on his ass and show him just how bold and amazing his girlfriend can be.

Keeping surprises are not my strong suit. If it's a good one, I just get so damn excited that I spill it before the big reveal. But this one I've been proudly holding onto since October - shortly after A. and our friend Ky decided that they would travel to Southeast Asia in December and through the holidays. So I thought, "Hey awesome self, how crazy would it be if I surprised A. in Thailand for New Year's Eve?" Very.

So guess where I am right now? Bangkok, fools!

I flew out of New York City Tuesday night and after what could only be described as "life," landed in Bangkok Thursday afternoon. I spent the day and a half that I had to myself exploring the city, making friends, and waiting for these two to return from their side trip to Cambodia. It's been two months of biting my tongue whenever A. talked about his upcoming itinerary with friends with so much excitement. ("I'm going, too!!" I wanted to yell.) Two months of secretly hashing out plans with Ky while my boyfriend remained completely clueless to our scheming. And after they departed, I spent too many nights fretting and second-guessing if this was such a good idea after all. The man does love his independence, you know, and I'd hate to have him feel like I was intruding on his trip.

But I felt this was right when he kept writing about how much he missed me, how he wish I were there enjoying these experiences with him. And I knew this would be a memorable moment when he finally saw me waiting for him on the hotel balcony and he ran up to kiss me not knowing if this was really happening.

It's been two hours and the man is still stunned, amazed, and beyond flattered that someone would go through all this trouble just to do something special for him. It was all worth it just to make him feel that happy, which in turn sent me over the moon.

Image: photo taken by Ky Huynh

15 comments :

  1. Can't wait to see what grand gesture you have in store for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and fantastically thoughtful gift. I am so happy for the two o you to share these days together. Wooooow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Enjoy it, take it in, and live it up!

    I also dare you to play the song "One Night in Bangcock"....

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww that is so sweet and romantic! congrats on pulling off such a huge surprise!

    and great pic by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww! Such a great surprise! Glad it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's awesome! happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dorkys!! This is a marvelous surprise!!!!

    Enjoy yourselves as the new year begins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.s., - that is one way cool photo too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you first posted about A going to Thailand, I was wondering why you didn't go as well. What a wonderful surprise for him and adventure for you! Be safe and have a happy happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome, and so sweet and romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is seriously the most romantic thing I've heard about in a long time. I know I'm a few days behind and your trip is probably over, but I just had to say that I absolutely LOVE that you did this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think i might have squeed when i read this. what a sweet surprise. you are awesome, dorkys! i hope you are having a great time in thailand.

    happy, twenty-twelve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww!
    *tears up*
    *sniffle sniffle*

    ReplyDelete
  14. dama, y'aight! Sigue esperando ahi.

    tooje, Ha! Yup, I had to get my New Year's kiss somehow.

    kelley, we enjoyed it so much. I've yet to listen to the song and I've yet to watch Hangover 2. Will do when I get a moment.

    tsuki, I can't believe we pulled it off either. The man had absolutely no idea of all the little workings that were happening around him. It was fun telling him all about it afterwards.

    mariahsmile, thanks!

    missy, happy new year to you, too!

    intense guy, I've come quite a ways, huh? Happy New Year to you as well. And that photo was taken by our friend, who totally helped me pull this whole stunt off.

    sugarlens, he ran off to Thailand for nearly a month so there was no way I could take off that much time from work. So I secretly took off a week and a half instead. A happy surprise indeed and So nerve-racking! Hope you and the family are enjoying the new year, too!

    toriz, thanks, dear!

    karen, I loved doing this for him, too. His reaction was totally worth it.

    odessa, thanks! Thailand was incredible and I hope you're having a wonderful 2012, too.

    ladystyx, :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is super duper sweet and ballsy as hell!!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.