Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Live the Language Continues Short Film Series

Oh how happy was I to see a comment on my last Live the Language post informing me that the EF International Language Centers have added three new films to its series? In addition to London, Beijing, Barcelona, and Paris, they now have shorts on Los Angeles, Sydney, and Vancouver, too. I've had my eye on Montreal for quite some time now (purely for the French), but learning how to snowboard down the slopes of Vancouver without breaking my neck sounds like a fine idea, too.


And P.S. I had to rewatch the Paris film and actually felt a bit sad about the fact that I'm here instead of there. How can you miss a place so much? What did make me smile? Reading about how badly I wanted my own European adventure and travel to France, Spain, and Italy and standing here six months later with that wish checked off my list.

Oh and speaking of languages, I'd like to say that I didn't completely forget all my French over the last 10 years and that my Italian kicked in quite nicely during our travels. It was such a joy to be surrounded by different languages and pick up new vocabulary just from walking down the street, listening to passersby, and reading signs. Being forced to speak French after such a long time flustered me in the beginning, but by the time we reached Rome, I chose to ask questions and gather info in Italian rather than resort to my native tongue. (Barcelona was obviously un pedazo de bizcocho.) Now I wish everything in NYC were also written in at least two foreign languages. Until that happens, I've signed up for a conversational Italian class so I can become more comfortable speaking it. God I hope I don't sound completely remedial tomorrow.

3 comments :

  1. Hmm... Secret Agent Girl...

    Hope you had a "piece of cake" for breakfast today and that snowboarding in Vancouver is a "piece of cake" too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you go to Montreal, just remember that it's not real french. That Quebecois is pretty nutty. But awesome, too! I loved living in Montreal and really want to go back and visit. It's been so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, thank you for a nice blog! Now there is a new ‘Live the language’ video where the girl travels to several countries – and also travels THROUGH TIME :)
    Watch it on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUpuIWFiNo0 or on Vimeo http://vimeo.com/105225663
    Hedvig @EF

    ReplyDelete

Say word.