Tuesday, October 21, 2014

On Camera: My Breast Cancer Story for BET.com


Earlier this month, my editor at BET.com asked if I'd be interested in talking about my breast cancer story for the site and on camera. I jumped at the opportunity to experience something new, but then as the date approached I grew nervous. My story isn't that exciting, I thought. What if I'm not that interesting to listen to and I come off totally lame? Still, I went for it because I wasn't going to let fear keep me from trying. If they wanted my story then all I could do was just give them me. At the very least I could be good at that, right?

My breast cancer story doesn't contain much frills. It's not some epic drama about a girl who was diagnosed at a late stage, sold all her worldly possessions, and became one with the universe. It's a bit more...I don't even know what word would describe it. Normal? Everyday? Practical? I was thrown this wild card against my will and what was I going to do? Stop living over it? No, thanks. I still have a few things on my to do list.

So even though I don't think my story is at all remarkable (1 in 8 U.S. women will develop invasive breast cancer in her lifetime), I wanted to share it anyway and show how I decided to face this. Simply put, this is me and what you see is what you get.

To listen to me recount my story, click here.

3 comments :

  1. I think your story is anything but lame - and goodness, look at that beautiful woman survivor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for having the courage to share this really blessed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never found practicality to be anything dull. It's actually a mindset of quick acceptance with a futuristic outlook. And what I love about your story and what you've documented about it is that you accept the present has highs and lows. Day to day or even hour to hour, you accept and live what's reality. That's practical. You didn't ignore the sad feelings or the mad feelings, and you didn't ignore when life told you to keep steppin', girl.

    Speaking of stepping, I'm headed your way Dec 3-5 and am hoping to keep a few hours free, maybe even Thursday evening for dinner? I'll keep you posted and text if that might work for you.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.