Thursday, September 12, 2013

Wicked for Broadway Week


Last night my sister and I went to see Wicked and had such an awesome time. Have you seen it? It's the story about the witches of Oz before Dorothy and Toto dropped into the party and really makes you feel for what the Wicked Witch of the West had to live through. I loved the music and didn't expect to find the acting as funny as I did (*toss, toss*). I might have also gotten a bit emotional for most of the first act because the singing was sensational (Lindsay Mendez's rendition of "The Wizard and I" and "Defying Gravity" were phenomenal) and I just couldn't believe that I was finally watching this show. Broadway plays are usually so expensive, but thanks to Broadway Week we were able to snatch 2-for-1 tickets and make my wish come true. I so didn't want the moment to end so I snuck into bed with my phone searching for snippets of the play on YouTube.

What Broadway plays have you seen? This is only my third (Rent and In The Heights were the first two) and have my eyes on The Book of Mormon next.

P.S. Was anyone a big Oz series fan growing up? I've never watched the movie, but remember checking out book after book from the library as a child. This made me want to visit that fantastical place again.

Image: broadway.com

4 comments :

  1. I have seen a couple. Phantom of the Opera, Jekyll and Hyde, The Fully Monty, Beauty and the Beast, The Sound of Music, Aida, and probably more. Once, to make it affordable, my friend and I got standing tickets for $20. I love NYC's theatre district!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a number of them. Phantom is one of my all time favs as is Les Miz. I saw a bunch of older ones - back in the "Cats" era, including Cats, A Chorus Line, Miss Saigon, Fiddler on the Roof (love the music), Hello, Dolly!, Mary Poppins and Annie.

    Wicked is a neat book too - if you haven't read it - you might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I've seen In The Heights, Sistahs, Forever Tango, Trip to Bountiful and will be going to see Chicago this weekend with your sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen Sarafina, Sistahs, The Color Purple, Beauty and the Beast, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar {probably forgetting one or two}and I'm hoping to see Matilda, Spiderman, the Newsies, ANNIE and the Lion king. you really need to watch the Wizard of Oz, it's a classic, we watched it with the boys just last week!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.