Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thoughts of Grandeur

When I went in for my lumpectomy on Friday I decided that I was going to put on my tough girl outfit and face this like a superhero. Although I was extremely nervous (and my morning injection for an axillary sentinel lymph node biopsy burned like hell), I wanted to pew! pew! past the fear, joke around with my mom and sis, and let everyone keeping tabs know that they could relax. Homegirl's got this.

I needed to act all "boom pow!" and put people at ease because in turn I needed them to be strong for me. If I showed them that this was no biggie, then they could feed that idea right back to me. And it worked. Through Facebook comments, text messages, and phone calls, I had a steady flow of kickass positivity that kept me going until those final minutes when I was ushered into the creepy operating room and laid out like Jesus on the table. My body shook from the nerves and cold, but before I could even start counting from 10, I was waking up, in tears, and looking up at my family.

This stage was finally over. I didn't have to pretend anymore.

8 comments :

  1. Warmest thoughts to you during this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such an amazing job and brave face! i like your fake it til you make it attitude, and i am sure others around you appreciate it as well! i will keep you in my thoughts!

    xoxoxox
    sami

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the 'tude!!

    :) Hang tough... you got lots of folks supporting and cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very proud of you, sweetie! This gal certainly needs to remember to take that same attitude if she's ever in the hospital again. The standing instructions I leave with the OR team is always the same:

    01) Please for goodness sakes make sure my ass (and the rest of the 300) is knocked clear out BEFORE I'm removed from the bay. If I get in the OR and I'm not out, you'll have a problem for sure with the way I panic.

    02) Please make sure that you have understanding people listening in for when I wake because I come out from the gas hard (read: crying and screaming like someone's trying to kill me). I'm not the patient for the n00bs, that's for sure.

    That said, you got this hun! Rah rah rah and all that rot ^_~ Go team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, I feel sorry for any poor soul that doesn't get this memo before dealing with you. I was actually nervous about waking up during anesthesia and I weigh much less than that. But no worries, I didn't get to count and I was out cold. Hope you stay out of the hospital, lady, cause it's definitely not a joyful ride.

      Delete
  5. You totally rock that gown!

    I'm glad everything went well and I seriously applaud your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that thing was so huge on me, I had to lift it like a ball gown so I could shuffle over to the operating room. Not the sexiest look I've ever rocked.

      Delete
  6. I think you had the perfect attitude for the situation, and glad that everything went well (minus the tears and crying when you woke up).

    ReplyDelete

Say word.