Thursday, October 25, 2012

What Kind of Music Turns You On?

A couple days ago, while A. and I were enjoying dinner at one of our favorite Asian restaurants "Let's Get It On" came on the radio (because naturally that's what you'd expect to hear while munching on dumplings). When I half-jokingly asked why we don't ever listen to this kind of music when we're being intimate, he simply answered, "Because it's cliché."

So true. We'd probably just goof through the whole thing instead of getting turned on by it. But then yesterday, Spotify sent over a study that backed up that very cliché: people still get it on to Marvin Gaye's track (and, of course, his "Sexual Healing") among others. You'd think people would be tired of these tunes being part of their bedroom soundtrack, but A. offered up a good theory as to why these songs keep topping lists. There probably are lots of other interesting songs being offered up, but the votes don't pile on for those as they do for the iconic ones.

Played out or not, I love listening to music and have a few that are pretty special to me in this relationship. Ben Folds Five's "Brick" was playing the first time I whispered I love you to A. I remember sharing my headphones with him in a California hotel room so we could listen to "Wonderful Tonight" and then falling asleep holding hands. When Adele's "One and Only" comes on, I quietly sing it to him and even though he doesn't have the best voice, laying in bed with A. while he serenades me with Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" or Yeasayer's "I Remember" is one the most romantic things he could do to me.

Does music play a role during your intimate moments? Which ones are your favorite?

P.S. Spotify members can listen to playlists of the top 20 tracks to play during sex and the 20 that'll serve as foreplay.

Image: jennkingphoto.com via rocknrollbride.com

3 comments :

  1. Just wanted to say I just discovered your blog and I'm enjoying all your posts. I like your wit and your blog topics are enjoyable to read! I'm a fan of words mixed with the right visuals and you got it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the sweet words! It's always nice to know someone's enjoying my randomness.

      Delete
  2. I stumbled upon your blog a little while ago and am enjoying it. Keep being you! You have another fan :)

    ReplyDelete

Say word.