Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Goodie Bag: Welcome to New York City

A.'s mom is always so thoughtful with me and will randomly send me goodies in the mail whenever she comes across something cute (think notebooks, sticky notes with "D" all over them, T-shirts, etc.). She just knows I'm all over that stuff and I know she gets a kick out of them, too. So for her visit from California I created a little goodie bag with fun stuff to welcome her to our side of the country.

The goodie bag was made from an MTA subway map using Jessica's instructions on How About Orange. A few years ago I grabbed a bunch of maps and banged out these bags, but then didn't have anything to put inside...until now. Aside from a handmade notecard I watercolored and inked in taxicab yellow and black, below are a few ideas on what you could use for a Welcome to New York City Goodie Bag.
1. DIY gift bag made out of a subway map
2. I Heart New York mini journal from Pearl River Mart to jot down city finds
3. Enormous Champion "I'll leave a light on" letterpress card
4. MTA subway map postcard from the Museum of Modern Art Store
5. $20 Metrocard
6. Passes to Tatzu Nishi's Discovering Columbus public art installation or other cool exhibits
7. Museum of Modern Art acrylic luggage tag
8. I Heart NY bear keychain from Pearl River Mart
9. Blue Q Nest Egg coin purse to store change and cards

To fuel walks around the city, I also added individual packets of Berkley & Jensen Gourmet Trail Mix and Ocean Spray Pomegranate Craisins, which came in so handy in between meals.

5 comments :

  1. What a thoughtful gift. And I am totally loving that subway bag. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was so easy to do I'm sure you could find materials to create one yourself.

      Delete
  2. These are so clever and thoughtful, and it is an idea that could work for any city, picking things that are relevant to you. In fact, this could be a really good leaving gift with memories...
    I'm getting a little bit sidetracked now, but you created something so great here and I bet that she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did and I had such a fun time trying to find little things to put in them. I'm hoping to make this into a series for different occasions so stay tuned for other gifting ideas.

      Delete
  3. That is such a fun idea! And what a cute bag!!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.