Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Things Are Mostly Good (Just Busy)

Good news: I'm working fulltime again. As a freelancer, yes, and still working from home, but it's nice to see my income come back up since it took a major hit in January. I have to marvel at my ability to live just fine on a 20 hour-a-week salary, but it makes me giddy to think of all I'll be able to save now that I see how little I can get by on.

Bad news: Although I'm up and ready for the day by 8:30 a.m., I'm good to zonk out by 1. Does anybody else feel like shutting down right after noon? And then, after being on the computer for eight hours straight, the last thing my mind wants to focus on is anything blog or social media related. Boo. I'm so zapped by the Internet these days that I truly miss the blogging energy I used to coast on in the past. Maybe I still need to get used to the new schedule, settle into this routine (it's only been a week), and keep going to bed and waking up at the same times until my body feels comfortable with it.

Or maybe I should just shut up and write.

I'm also going to go ahead and throw Mother Nature under the bus because this weather has been gloomy and craptastic. I no longer have sunshine pouring into the apartment like the summer months used to bring and this dungeon is downright depressing. Dad the Eternal Optimist disagrees as he believes this is the perfect time to cozy up at home, listen to some good music, and enjoy a nice bottle of red wine.*

Good news: Two years ago, A. suggested driving into New England for a weekend to watch the leaves change colors and then stay at a small bed and breakfast. I've been looking forward to it ever since because as a female I will hold on to any and every romantic promise ever made and hold you to it until the day you die. Buuuut life has a tendency to whiz right past us and before you know it autumn has come and gone. Well this past weekend I went ahead and booked us a room at a bed and breakfast in the Catskill Mountains so we'll finally (!!) enjoy our fall weekend getaway in a couple weeks. I can't wait to drive up, relax and take in the fresh mountain air, visit the farmers market, grab some fresh apple cider, pop open a bottle of bubbly, and have the then-newly-minted 30-year-old all to myself.

*I should note that he's said bright and sunny days are also perfect for the exact same.

Image: etsy.com

6 comments :

  1. I hear ya! It's common that I leave work with near bloodshot eyes and then come home with the sense of responsibility to keep writing and working on projects. But there is a growing sense that what I really should be doing is resting. I too am making a getaway this weekend - to Normandy - so I hope both our weekends are as revitalizing as we need them to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being back in a full-time job groove -- and I can totally relate to being burnt out and not want to be anywhere near a computer by the end of the day. I'm amazed I'm on mine now. Especially with a good book so close by...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are going to have a perfect weekend. Seeing the foliage up in the New England is on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the increase in work! Don't forget the candles when you cozy up with good music and good wine. Have fun at the B&B, can't wait to see some of the pictures you take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What B&B did you book? Let us know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I booked the Catskill Lodge in Windham, NY so I'll let you all know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete

Say word.