Thursday, July 5, 2012

Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular

Even though I woke up sobbing because it's been nearly two weeks and I still haven't been able to sleep at night, I made a last-minute decision to just grab the camera and attend the madness that is the Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular. I really wanted to try out the new shutter release cable and play with the camera's bulb setting (meaning I can hold the shutter open to capture as much as I'd like in one shot). Let me tell you, using a tripod in the middle of a crowd is not easy and I would've preferred to capture the whole scene from a good vantage point far from the people, but I did what I could.
I probably could've paid more attention to the sky than my camera's settings, but it was an experience nonetheless. Had I known that Anonymous was home, I would've walked a couple blocks down and taken in the incredible (and unobstructed) views from her rooftop! (Next year, right rata?)
The show supposedly lasted nearly 30 minutes, but it seemed to be over almost as soon as it started and frankly, I remember the show being more spectacular when I'd watch it on television as a child. Still, it was fun seeing the sky light up in all colors (and yes, smiley faces) and hearing the thundering overhead.
By the way, did you hear about the fireworks show in San Diego? What should've been 20 minutes worth of explosions was mistakingly set to go off in just 15 seconds! Whoops! Ten of thousands of fireworks set the whole sky ablaze resulting in a pretty fantastic, though short-lived, show. Now that would've been something to capture.

3 comments :

Say word.