Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What Wines Do You Like to Drink?

Confession: I'm completely clueless when it comes to picking wine. I could stare at a wine menu forever, pretending to know merlot from cabernet, only to end up saying "oh, I'll have what he just ordered" when my turn comes around. So I've taken to jotting down the names of ones I've tasted and enjoyed. My favorite so far are two German Reisling wines, Dr. Loosen Reisling "Dr. L" and Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese. Both are light, sweet, and affordable (I buy both from here). Plus, I gravitate towards chilled white wines rather than heavy reds. (P.S. Does red wine make anyone else so sleepy?)

But I'd love to grow my weak list so tell me: which wines are you loving these days? Do you have one you turn to again and again? Or are you just as clueless as I am?

For you wine lovers:

The secret's out with this tote bag.
How to make wine glass charms.
A metro wine map of France.
A traveler's wine tote.
A classy little wine journal.
How to drink wine on a budget.
Wine experts' recommendations for cheap drinking.
What wine pairs with cereal?

Image: notonthehighstreet.com

10 comments :

  1. A few:
    Nec-Otium Pinot Grigio
    Finca Sandoval
    Achaval Ferrer Malbec

    ReplyDelete
  2. And THAT'S why I have to step up my game...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have specific labels or vintners that I prefer over others. I do prefer white over red, because the whites are not typically as dry as the reds. My favorite is Fumé Blanc, it's similar to a Chenin Blanc. I have had Reisling and it's a nice change of pace, being a sweet wine. I've also tried a Gewurtzraminer, which was also very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi lady! Long time! It's so nice to hear from you and thanks for the white wine suggestions. I'll look out for them the next time I'm at the store. Hope everything's been going well on your end!

    Also, just wanted to note for other Reisling wine fans: in the cereal/wine video, Gary Vaynerchuk pairs Captain Crunch with a 2007 Von Kesselstatt Spatlese Scharzhofberger Riesling, another German choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Boones Farm Strawberry Hill count? I don't drink wine. I prefer beer. Red gives me migraines... found out the hard way. Good luck with your list though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get thirsty just saying "A nice Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese, please."

    =) I usually stick to Roses, Zinfindals and spice wines. Red wines generally give me upset tum-tum.

    I do however avoid any wine in a box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you whine snob! Though I agree, if I'm going to class it up for an evening, I'd like to stay away from the fruit juice-looking cartons. That said, I'm sure there are good wine-in-a-box choices, no? I must investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We could order some margaritas instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came across your blog and am totally intrigued! I am really into Moscato right now. It's light, fruity, and sweet. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.