Monday, August 15, 2016

Hanging Ten


This weekend was so humid and hot in New York City that when Alex invited me to learn how to surf with him and his cousin, I was on that Long Island Railroad within the half hour. We spent our Sunday morning splashing around the cool water in Gilgo Beach and even though I still can't really swim, I decided to give surfing a go anyway. Wouldn't you know that I actually managed to hop on the surf board, hop on an incoming wave, jump onto my feet, and ride that wave for a few feet?! I wiped out so many times before and after that, but it was such a fun experience and one that I'd never even cared to try before this weekend. It feels awesome to see myself slowly shedding my fear of drowning at the beach and I can't wait to jump on a board again.

Now to squeeze in more pool time and swimming practice before the summer is over. I can't believe I haven't gone to a beach or a pool since our cruise trip back in April. I feel like I've been wasting the summer away, though with the way this humidity has been brutalizing us, I won't be sad to see autumn come earlier.

This little getaway was a needed one, too. A week ago, I started moving back in with my family and have been readjusting to living in my childhood home again. After struggling to hold it together in Harlem, I've decided to give up the apartment and spend time refocusing on some goals before jumping into a new lease. It's going to take a little getting used to, living with my mom and brother, but overall it hasn't been as bad as I feared. Of course, there are some major pros (way more family time, saving money, familiar and beloved neighborhood) and cons (goodbye privacy, sleeping on the couch, bickering family), but I think the act of leaving such a stressful situation and being around family as I figure out my next move will prove to be so much more valuable than the sacrifices I'll have to make over the next several months.

2 comments :

  1. That's great about the surfing. I don't think I'd be brave enough to try it. I managed to get over the fear of going near water I had as a child, and can swim a little (enough to keep afloat and move in the direction I want to in the water, anyway). But I could never even get up the courage to take both feet off the floor when playing with my brother's skateboard, so I doubt I'd be able to get up the courage to stand up on a surfboard.

    I'm glad you're so positive about the moving back in with your family thing. I hope it all goes well, and you manage to figure out the things you need to figure out, and decide where your life will take you next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful looking beach. I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.