Monday, August 5, 2013

Returning to the Dominican Republic

Apologies for the silence around here the last couple weeks, but I had a beautiful excuse: I was in the Dominican Republic! For years my father has expressed this wish of traveling back to Santiago with all three of his kids, something he hadn't done in 20 years. While my siblings have traveled there plenty over the last few years both with Dad and with other family members, I hadn't visited my DR family in nine years. (You might remember my vacation there in 2009, but I traveled to a different location on the island and so didn't get to see anyone I knew.)
One of my reasons for staying away was the fact that I spent practically every childhood summer visiting the same village, seeing the same people, doing the same things. So as soon as I had a say in where I could spend my vacations and a budget to make those travel dreams happen, I flew to new places: Mexico, St. Lucia, Costa Rica, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic, Thailand, and planting my restless feet across the U.S. I wanted to see the world and it wasn't going to happen if I kept returning to the same places. I love my extended family, but I guess I'd grown to love my wanderlust more.
But the excitement my father felt in the weeks, days leading up to the trip was contagious. Oh goodness and when he realized we'd be there during Dominican Father's Day, he was just beside himself. It was complete coincidence as we barely even remember when American Father's Day is, but what perfect timing. Once there, I remembered all those little innocent escapades I had as a child, biking off with the local boys to climb hills and trees, poking the bats out of their holes in the trunks and knocking down fruits to eat, the women that I came to know as sisters, the smells, the tastes, visiting my godfather's farm to hose down the pigs and feed the animals. All the kids I'd said goodbye to nine years ago now towered over me and a new batch of faces had taken their place. And while I'm happy for the progress that has made its way into this village in Monte Adentro, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't yearning for the old dirt roads that used to lead us city children to their next adventure where frilly dresses stood no chance against the mud and our curiosity.

It was bittersweet, too, as a walk through the local cemetery made me realized how many people - including two grandparents - had passed on since I was there last. Despite all the faces that filled my grandmother's house as we celebrated our reunion, I still missed seeing her toothless grin as she sat on her rocking chair saying "crapola" about one thing or another. I wish I'd seen her more and I wish I'd grown up with a closer bond with my grandparents, but it's too late for all that now.
The trip was too short. Trips that mean so much usually are. But we filled those five days with laughter and stories that made me realize just how important it is to stay connected to family. There were people that I'd forgotten how much they used to mean to me and it shamed me a bit. So instead of acting as if goodbyes are just words you say casually, I listened, I made eye-contact, I didn't wipe my cheek after their wet kisses, I said, "You mean a lot to me." Because as much as I would love to return and nurture those ties, I know things happen. Work demands your attention, life picks up speed, goals pull you in other directions, unexplored corners call your name, you run out of money, and before you know it, years have passed, children have grown up, the old have moved on. When I hugged my older aunts and uncles farewell I wanted so badly to cling to those moments because I didn't want to forget.
Dad thinks this trip was our gift to him and it started out as such, but, I tell him, this trip was also an unforgettable gift to his children.

14 comments :

  1. You have a beautiful family! I'm glad you went back and spent time with them. You will miss those times together when they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a special trip. My sensitive dad even got emotional during the reunion and putting his head on my shoulder said, "I'm really loved...and respected."

      "Well of course you are!" was all I could exclaim. I love that guy. He's just a giant heart.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures. And it's so fun to reconnect with family. I know for my siblings and me, it's always special time to gather together, wherever we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, and so much fun to swap old stories while creating new memories.

      Delete
  3. Those smiles, a beautiful island, it must have been an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a pretty people, huh? ;)

      Heading anywhere this summer? Or just continuing to explore every corner in this city with the kids?

      Delete
    2. oh yes a stay cation it is for us, saving up for our Disney trip next summer! Mike owes my grandma an apple pie, so I'm thinking since she lives in the LES WE'll pop bye and see you at hester street afterwards!

      Delete
  4. Oh what marvelous photos! And everyone looks like they are having a grand time! This was indeed a gift to everyone in the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Everyone was delighted to see us again and Dad treated us all to a delicious banquet at his late mother's house.

      Delete
  5. Amazing snapshots from what looks and sounds like a splendid trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsey! It truly was a great time. What I wouldn't give to dip my toes in the sea again and drink some fresh passion fruit juice.

      Delete
  6. Wow, beautiful pictures. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I am all about seeing new places as well, but sometimes it's nice to return to something familiar. No planning necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dorkys, I'm a bit teary-eyed reading this. You have a beautiful family and I love that everyone looks so happy. Thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me all weepy! This is such a beautiful, moving post and I felt the bittersweet magic of those five days in your words. It was such a gift you & your dad gave each other-him to remind you of those ties and memories and you to open yourself to them! I love how you took the time to tell your family what they mean to you and treasure the time you had with them-thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.