Sunday, June 16, 2013

Words for Dad

I've mentioned before how much I adore my father and all the love he showers upon his three children. I'm 31 years old and the man will still dote on me as if I were his little girl. He'll call to leave snippets of "our songs" on my voicemail, is always wanting to spend his time with us, and his words of wisdom either leave us in conniptions or thinking, "Damn, he's right."

Sometimes I act too cool for school when he wants me to return the kiss he just blew to me over the phone or feign annoyance when he playfully pats me over the head in public. But I'm grateful for him in spite of my stubbornness and fully believe that had he not been around to shine his light, love, and attention, I doubt I would have made it into adulthood alive. So today, when Dad hugged me goodbye after we left brunch, I wrapped my arms around him and let myself squeeze him extra tight because I know one day will come when I'm going to wish he were still calling me every day and serenading me in broken English. Here's to embracing all these years in between.

5 comments :

  1. I love my poppa, our poppa. Not many children of divorced parents (who resided with their mom) can say they have this close a relationship with their dad. So happy and grateful that we do! ~Dama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He rocks, plain and simple. He would move mountains for us if he could. But he can't. 'Cause he's little.

      Delete
  2. :) I'm sure your dad considers himself blessed - having two beautiful daughters and such a handsome son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does and tells us so all the time. We're the lucky ones.

      Delete
  3. Aaaahhhhh. I might have smiled like a child and teared up like a big baby reading this post. How very sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.