Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Four More Years

"I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting." -President Barack Obama, Nov. 6, 2012

I stayed up late Tuesday night watching Election Day coverage all the way up to President Barack Obama's victory speech. At our friend's house, we had a nice view of the Empire State Building as it marked each candidate's race to 270 electoral votes and were so happy when the whole thing went Obama blue. While everyone says Mitt Romney's concession speech was a gracious one, I can't help but shudder when I think what it would've been like for me as a woman if he and Paul Ryan had been elected instead.

It took me about 45 minutes to vote and much, much longer for others, but I'm glad that we pushed through and made our mark no matter what side we stood for. Here's hoping the next four years bring job growth, health care improvements, equal rights no matter whom we choose to love, and that these politicians stop trying to tell me what I can and can't do to my own body.

Now, anybody else elated that this never-ending campaign is finally over?

Image: crabbygolightly.com

3 comments :

  1. SOOOO glad this is over!

    MN is on a 2 year cycle for elections:
    2012: President
    2014: Governor
    2016: President
    2018: Governor
    and so on....

    So, we get a small break before it all starts again. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get excited that elections are over because it generally allows for me to clean out my FB friend list.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.